Sunday, November 13, 2011

This Little Life

This is a link to my photography website -- Gina Williams' photography site. http://tastethesky.zenfolio.com/

I hesitate, at times, to mix my erotica writing with other pursuits, as if writing of a particular, more controversial genre must exist in some other universe far, far away. In addition to a photography exhibit at the University of Oregon in Portland, I recently had a photograph accepted for publication in a journal. The Houston Literary Review took a political poem a few months back. Friends have purchased my pics to decorate their walls -- my own little personal victory over Pottery Barn decor! My life feels so complete, now that I am fully immersed in so many different creative pursuits.

I will never forget the day my ex-husband that forgetting a small vibrator in the shower had surely ruined my sons. They would never be the same. They'd be messed up, horny little goats forever. Well, they're normal, happy, horny little goats, so there. I got word a week or so ago that Cleis Press is definitely taking my story "Blood Lust" for an upcoming anthology edited by Ily Goyanes. Cleis Press' "Girl Crazy" was the first print anthology I was in. This time, I will be included with the amazing Shanna Germain, who I first met when we worked together at a small weekly newspaper in the backcountry of Washington state. This amazing Venn Diagram of my life all points to friendship, poetry, lust and acceptance, and reassures me that there is really no need to put my life into little boxes. It is one, big, beautiful sky. I am proud and thrilled about it all.

Oregon poet William Stafford said, “I embrace emerging experience. I participate in discovery. I am a butterfly. I am not a butterfly collector. I want the experience of the butterfly.”
The experience of the butterfly, the dragonfly, the waving grasses, the drifting clouds, the snail’s wandering eye…..this is what I long to capture through the lens and with words, and ultimately share with those who are perhaps in more of a hurry than I, at that moment.


5 comments:

Craig Sorensen said...

I took a quick glimpse at your photo site, and I'm dazzled. Not that I'm unfamiliar with your work, but I'm impressed with the varied subject matter and your approach to each.

From the experience of the butterfly.

Beautifully put.

Gina Marie said...

Thanks, Craig. I love being alive. What an incredible world we live in.

Jeremy Edwards said...

Thank you for making us a part of your Venn diagram! It's always a joy to Venn-ture into your loop-de-loops.

Erobintica said...

This post made me smile. I've loved seeing your photography.

I am still struggling with the blending of my lives. It's been as hard to share my non-erotica life with my erotica friends as it is the other way around. I don't like the split, but it's there anyway. And it's so sad. We need to be able to show our whole selves. One of these days.

Gina Marie said...

Maybe it comes in stages....maybe we just have to work up to it. Because life is funny that way. Love you all!