Wednesday, April 28, 2010

La Belle et la Bête

"Beast was disappeared, and she saw, at her feet, one of the loveliest princes that eye ever beheld; who returned her thanks for having put an end to the charm, under which he had so long resembled a Beast. Though this prince was worthy of all her attention, she could not forbear asking where Beast was."

La Belle et la Bête
Beauty and the Beast

Jeanne-Marie LePrince de Beaumont, 1756



Shanna and I recently had a conversation about body image. We can both recall, in a not-so-distant-past, looking into a mirror and hating what we saw. Not only were we hidden, but shameful, awkward, too strong for our own good, improper, and improperly put together. And then, just by letting go, taking a leap of faith into the thin, cold air of the upper atmosphere, the touch of truth upon our flesh, we could finally see the truth. Beauty. Inside and out.


Strip away the bullshit, all the way down to nothing, and take a look. See???? I'm even pleased with the little troll feet I've hated since I was 10. When my lover caresses them and pulls them to his face, tells me they turn him on, that they embody my strength and character, it is just such an amazing tonic. When I look down at my fat little toes and blistered buniony tootsies, I smile. So take a good look, and realize that what you see isn't always what's truly there, even when you're looking at yourself. Then go dance around the Maypole under the full egg moon and celebrate!


ps -- wow -- that full egg moon is a doozy!

photo:

http://baljeet2506.deviantart.com/art/Butterfly-23460595

8 comments:

Shanna Germain said...

Yes, yes, yes!

Erobintica said...

So true, so true.

Craig Sorensen said...

Awesome.

Gina Marie said...

Oui, oui, oui!

BadAssKona said...

We are always our own worst critic. What we need is acceptance and love, not self-adoration. And, my love, with you, there is much to be accepted and loved

Gina Marie said...

I love that, BAK -- your comment about self-adoration. People fear they are self-adoring, then go to church for self-flagellation when what they're really after is the peace that comes from acceptance (and occasional shameless masturbation). Couldn't help myself. It rhymes, sort of. Friday, where are you????

Erobintica said...

Friday is here now! Yay! What I want are sorta night-vision goggles that you can wear tonight at SEAF and I can watch from way over here on the other coast!

Are you excited or what????

Gina Marie said...

I'm EXCITED!!!!!! I'll document everything for you, Robin!