Friday, March 5, 2010

It's all about the whipping


My Dad has two favorite desserts. Cherry pie and angel food cake. Well, Mom already went and made him a cherry pie for his birthday. Now it's up to me to deliver the spongy goodness. I could buy one. They're so flipping finicky. Once, I made three in a row because they kept falling. One trick is to NEVER grease the tube pan. (Thanks Mom!) The batter is so delicate -- and can be affected by humidity, amount of mixing, proper measuring, etc. But when you get them right.....oh, wow. They make a store-bought cake seem like a ridiculous plasticky-cardboard waste of cash. Of course, it's really all about how you whip those whites. The meringue is le critical! In a fit of simplifying my life during the summer I gave away (gasp!) my stand mixer. All I have is a fork and an hand beater. Well hell, Amish people make all kinds of stuff without electricity, right? I can do this!

All I need is the right music. I think I found it. Wish me luck.





Good Old Fashioned Angel Food Cake

Ingredients
18 egg whites
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 pinch salt
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 cup cake flour
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Sift cake flour and confectioners sugar together 5 times and set aside.
2.In a large clean bowl, whip egg whites with a pinch of salt until foamy. Add cream of tartar and continue beating until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar while beating, and continue to beat until very stiff. Add vanilla.
3.Quickly fold in flour mixture. Pour into a 10 inch tube pan.
4.Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 minutes.

--AllRecipes.com

3 comments:

Craig Sorensen said...

Oh, it can be done. Just like whipping cream by hand, which I have done.

Great for muscle development!

Gina Marie said...

Off to the store for eggs.....here goes somethin!

Gina Marie said...

It took a full 30 minutes of hard-core white whupping, but it worked! Dad was pleased :-)