Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Self-digestion to release their basidiospores


The rain is coming down in a steady torrent, heavy drops smacking on thick maple leaves outside my window. I love the way it sounds. It is the sound of change, the rhythm and melody of natural chimes. There is almost no light coming in -- the sky is heavy and sodden. But there is an altar candle burning on my desk, a wam, purring kitten on my lap, and my tongue is happy and tingling.

I can still taste the thick, buttery juice in my mouth and the warmth in my belly from last night. Thick, white stems and spongy caps, handpicked alongside the road by a denim-clad hunter, sliced neatly, and sauteed to golden brown perfection in sweet, creamy butter. Soul food of the highest order. Joy!

Wild Supper

Entering the laughter softened
space of our cluttered kitchen
he shakes the cold from my hair,
wraps me up in that big lover’s
greeting, all musk-scented skin
and flashing eyes. Proudly, he holds
out the offering of the roadside
harvest, freshly killed.

Sharp knife through pale shaggy manes
Slicing thick flesh of stems and caps,
gills splayed in perfect symmetry
and we are bent together
over the stove inhaling
forest and field, butter foaming at
the mouth of the sauté pan.
Sizzling from deathly white
to summery golden brown.
Bone dry to drenched in hot juice.
Finger food steaming on
the plate, we reach across
the table in unison, and we eat.

Shaggy Mane Soup
Telluride, Colorado Mushroom Festival

Ingredients:
3/4 cup choped scallions
1/4 stick butter
2 cups chopped shaggy manes (Coprinus comatus)
Garlic totaste
2 tbsp flour
1 cup milk
1 cup chicken broth
Salt to taste

Directions:
Combine scallions and butter and saute for five minutes. Add shaggy manes and cook for three minutes. Add fresh garlic. Add flour and cook for three more minutes. Add milk and chicken broth. Cook on very low heat for 10 to 20 minutes.
__________________________

Oooh, ahhh!
This is so cool -- the self-digestion of shaggy manes to release their basidiospores.

6 comments:

BadAssKona said...

So happy to introduce a tree whore to a new gustatory experience! My shrooms are your shrooms; we'll release our basidiospores together!

Craig Sorensen said...

Ah, yes, the sound of the rain. Speaking of chimes, do you still have those bamboo wind chimes? Been a breezy fall here and I've been enjoying mine alot.

Sounds like you two had quite a feast.

Cheers!

Gina Marie said...

That's just fun to say, isn't it? Basidiosporgy!

Craig, I don't have the bamboo chimes and I was thinking about them yesterday....but the rain coming down through the big maple canopy is very similar and I was really happy about that. The chimes are everywhere, really.

BadAssKona said...

There were chimes, in the trees, but I never heard them ringing....no, I never heard them at all, 'til there was you.....

WV: "sidist"
Def: The person who implants silicon chips in the brains of others

Erobintica said...

Lovely post Gina, downright mouth-watering. And BAK - love the rewritten lyrics!

lol, my word is

pinkther

nuf said!

Gina Marie said...

Music Man! Thanks for the musical history, BAK.

Hi Robin, the buttery fungi definitely warm up a cold, rainy night!