Friday, October 30, 2009

And then it was spring













A leaf fell from the sky, spiraling down, and hit me on the head. I saw it right before it struck, a flash of orange and red, but it was too late. I passed out and had some crazy dreams.



The squirrels surrounded me, splashed puddle water on my face to wake me up, and carried me off to a tree hole that turned out to be quite the party pad. Martini bar, live jazz. Those squirrels really know how to get through winter in style.

Then they tied me up and cracked acorns on my belly. They fed me gin and tickled my feet. The wind began to howl and they wrapped me up in a big down blanket and gave me hot toddies with honey and ginger and put me in bed.
All that tickling made me tired. It felt so good to give in to the weariness, close my eyes, and fall asleep surrounded by acorn caps, fur and singing (showtunes mostly).

And when I woke up, it was spring.



5 comments:

Jeremy Edwards said...

Showtune-singing squirrels!!!

Gina Marie said...

Never a dull moment!

neve black said...

Oh, sometimes I think the concept of hibernation is a great idea.

Gina Marie said...

Hi Neve! I know, the rain makes me want to burrow. It's shaping up to be a fun fall & winter though, starting with Halloween craziness!

Craig Sorensen said...

And when the spring arrives, the squirrels do the can-can.

I must admit, that I thrive in the winter, creatively speaking. It may be a turning inward, but it's always been that way.

Happy Halloween!