Thursday, June 25, 2009

Sin, Cinnamon & Skin


"Whether he knew of this deficiency himself I can't say. I think the knowledge came to him at last--only at the very last. But the wilderness found him out early, and had taken vengeance for the fantastic invasion. I think it had whispered to him things about himself which he did not know, things of which he had no conception till he took counsel with this great solitude--and the whisper had proved irresistibly fascinating. It echoed loudly within him because he was hollow at the core." - Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness, Part 3

Come with me into the jungle. Where trickers throw bolts of moonlight and the Canela people paint their cinnamon skin. Red. Blue. Ochre. Smoke.

Follow me to the western shore of the New World where birdsong and lustsong are indistiguishable.

"By force of arquebus
and cruxifix I became Miranda’s servant,
my sister Anacaona master’s concubine.
Self-taught, I played vihuelaand sack
butt while Miranda sangcanticles to chastity,
cashew-bird’s trills and whistles.
“You are a savage,” she said, “unless
Christian husbandry tames your instincts.”
Ungrateful girl.
When she couldn’t sleep– excess of phlegm – I whistled Carib melodies,
rocking Miranda as Sycorax did to me."
Caliban CimarrĂ³n by Orlando Ricardo Menes

Come with me in search of mermaids and untamed instincts and the dark heart of spice -- Canela.

Sunday spice tour coming up! Come back and check it out!







3 comments:

neve black said...

Hey there sexy woman!
I'm looking forward to my cinnamon girl's party on Sunday. :)

Donna said...

I know this is going to be a magnificent adventure. Can't wait!

Danielle said...

i cant wait either...i love cinnamon..aktually i love most herbs and spices but cinnamon isn really great ...i love it in bobotie or as a drink inside of shai latte....