Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Lazy rebel


Must be the cold, rainy weather. I am eating dark chocolate and just took one of those dumb quizzes: "What your underwear say about you." Um, at the moment that would be what the lack thereof says. Underwear Oracle declared me a lazy rebel. Nice! And oh so true. Later, in my red lace boyshorts, Undie Oracle says I'll be a hot, teasing pinup girl. Sweet!


But enough about schmunderwear. Here's the question of the day: Is it possible to write something sensual without it being sexual? Sensuality seems to me to be a state of mind, a way of experiencing the world. Sexuality is a sensual experience....sensuality is simply.....life is beautiful.


"To be sensual means to be acutely aware of your surroundings. It’s the joyous preoccupation with what you smell, touch, hear, taste and see. With the right state of mind, you can make anything a sensual experience—eating, walking, dancing, gardening, laundry—you name it.”
--Weapons of Mass Seduction


Sensual like fungi and wildflowers, sun-dried laundry, damp skin, eyes wide open, the pop of the cork, rough bark, deer bounding, hot sand, exploration, windows down, oiled breadboards, laughing, laughing, and more laughing.


Speaking of fungi, soup's on!


Wild Mushroom Stew



2 tb Olive oil
1 lb Wild mushrooms; cleaned,
2 tb Minced shallots
1/2 c Peeled; seeded, and chopped
1 tb Chopped garlic
4 c Veal reduction
2 tb Truffle oil
2 tb Butter
1/4 c Chopped green onions
10 New potatoes; cooked, kept
1 c Truffle emulsion
1/2 c Grated Parmigiano-Regginao
1 sm Truffle
Salt; to taste
Freshly-ground black pepper;
2 tb Chopped chives


Instructions

In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the mushrooms and saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the shallots and tomatoes and saute for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Add the veal reduction and bring the liquid up to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and reduce the liquid by 1/2, about 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the truffle oil. Mount in the butter. Using the back of a spoon, gently smash each potato. Season the potatoes with salt and pepper. To assemble, spoon a small pool of the truffle emulsion in the center of each plate. Lay the smashed potatoes in the center of the truffle emulsion. Spoon the mushroom stew over each potato. Sprinkle the stew with the grated cheese. Shave the truffles over each plate. Garnish with chives. This recipe yields 8 to 10 servings.



Photo: Pinup Cook

8 comments:

Donna said...

Kirsten--

That recipe is sensual without being sexual. I'll admit I often have trouble telling the difference, especially when it comes to food.

Maybe the definition is different for everyone?

I think I'll go read that recipe again....

Jeremy Edwards said...

My question is, what does my underwear (or, for that matter, my schmunderwear) say about me when I'm not there?

(And, when I'm drying off after a shower, what does my bath towel say behind my back?)

Erobintica said...

My underwear says I'm confident - I'm glad my underwear thinks I'm confident. Confidentially, I'm not too sure my underwear is very oracular at all.

Sensual can be sexual or not. Depends on the circumstances.

Neve Black said...

Hey, no fair. I was sexually stirred about sans underwear before we started talking about sensuality. :-)

It's a great question. Aren't all the sensuous things described below also sexual? I guess they are for this girl and I'm wearing panties today.

"...like fungi and wildflowers, sun-dried laundry, damp skin, eyes wide open, the pop of the cork, rough bark, deer bounding, hot sand, exploration, windows down, oiled breadboards, laughing, laughing, and more laughing...."

Kirsten Monroe said...

Donna! Thanks for stopping by the kitchen. The question about sensuality came up in a non-erotica writer's group. I'm sure the definition is different for everyone, just like we all have different tastes. A friend was griping about mushrooms recently -- he said he can't stand them because they are "spongy and slippery." I love that about shrooms! Recipe looks tasty, eh? Truffle oil! Wow!

Hi Jeremy, I think your underwear not only talks about you but has wild parties and trashes the place while you're out.

Howdy Robin -- confident eh.....hmmmm....under the circumstances, that can be sensual too!

Neve, you crack me up. I guess all of those things are also sexual....though some people look at a wildflower & just see a plant, not something special or amazing.

Craig Sorensen said...

Delicious post.

Truth is, one can be sexual without being sensual, but what a waste!

And sensuality can be non-sexual.

But the two are like the Reese's Peanut Butter cup of pleasure.

Lover 1: "Hey, you got sexuality on my sensuality."

Lover 2: "You got sensuality in my sexuality"

In unison (with heavy breathing) : "And it's wonderful!"

Erobintica said...

personally I think fungi are very sensual & sexy - and the whole mycelium thing just gets to me in the same way thinking about sex does. Okay, yeah, I'm weird. ;-)

Donna said...

Kirsten, I love mushrooms, too. I had a dish of morels once that was SO fantastic. Sexual and sensual. Plus they are rather penile, aren't they? Or they can be ;-).

Craig, you have it just right. Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. Always better together.

Thanks for this DELICIOUS post, KM.