Wednesday, February 25, 2009

to work together

col·lab·o·rate
intr.v. col·lab·o·rat·ed, col·lab·o·rat·ing, col·lab·o·rates
1. To work together, especially in a joint intellectual effort.


Have you ever collaborated with another writer to create something....a little different than your usual work? I teamed up with my friend BadAssKona on this hot little piece. We sent it back and forth a couple of times. I submitted it, and poof! I was thrilled when I heard back quickly from Clean Sheets. Yes! They said yes! It will be included in Clean Sheets Exotica in March. We wrote it with the collaborated nom de plume of Daisy James, a woman who at the ripe old age of 94 still dances nude on the beach, believes an orgasm (or ten) a day keeps all the evil away, and remains as in lust with life as ever. Thanks BAK! Thanks Clean Sheets! And thank you Crazy Miss Daisy.

Le Pain
(excerpt)
by Daisy James

This story is about cold marble and slate, radiating bricks and sappy timbers. It is about butter and oil and hot, impatient lust. It is about the life of yeast, the sex of salt, the capture and release of air. It is about small glasses of Grand Marnier, thin slices of gorgonzola, apples and pistachios. It is about the crisp crunch of croissant, the scream of pulling, forcing, ripping apart.

She is on her way. The cab is weaving through traffic, like sperm searching for an egg, or in this case, a yeast cell searching for sugar. Rosary beads dangle from the cab’s shattered rearview mirror, and Mexican polkas blare from the radio. The driving rain washes the lights of the glowing city down the windows. Her lips are on fire. She is rising, like warming dough, in the back seat of the cab. She thinks about the smell of that rising, the heat of the brick ovens, her buttery sex, the heavy oiled breadboard, the man who wields it, the sweat between his legs. It is that man and that instrument of her deepest pleasure that has her gripping the worn and cigarette-stained seat of the cab, her knuckles white and rigid as his cock.

**Tune in tomorrow for some Zodiac Magic with Neve Black! (Prize patrol alert)




Above Photo: French fashion nude at Photo Net

12 comments:

Nikki Magennis said...

Congrats, Kirsten and BAK! That story sounds fucking amazing. Can't wait to read the rest!

Neve Black said...

Congratulations to both of you!

That's awesome! Hooray for sexy ladies in their 90's still have big O's! Yah, that really rocks!

Donna said...

Oh, my, this sounds wonderful! Congratulations you two. I'm drooling already....

BadAssKona said...

I may be baking bread tonight!

Erobintica said...

You'd been so quiet I was wondering what you were up to. ;-) Wow.

"the smell of that rising"

Luckily March isn't far away - sounds like it was fun to write. I'm sure it'll be fun to read.

Kirsten Monroe said...

Have any of you ever worked with other writers? Do you know if it's very common out there -- I'm relatively new on the scene.

Hey Nikki, thanks -- it was fun to give it a try and have it work! I hope you enjoy the rest of the story!

Hi Neve, I know, go granny go, eh?

Donna, it gets juicier, so stay tuned.

Thanks again BAK -- fun to collaborate -- try something new! Woo! Here's to the tasty loaves.

Hi Robin, I thought it might be nice for y'all to have a break from my rambling :) But I'm always up to something!

Emerald said...

Congratulations both! Looking forward to reading it!

EllaRegina said...

What a sexy excerpt! Wow! Love all your baking metaphors, especially this one :

The cab is weaving through traffic, like sperm searching for an egg, or in this case, a yeast cell searching for sugar.

Is there really such a thing as a Mexican polka? I'm so out of the loop...

Jeremy Edwards said...

This is so awesome ... from the cross-pollination of it to the sexy 94 of it to the Clean Sheetsness of it ... and, first and foremost, of course, to and from the amazing, delicious writing:

The driving rain washes the lights of the glowing city down the windows. Her lips are on fire. She is rising, like warming dough, in the back seat of the cab.

Taxi! Take me to Exotica, at the corner of March. And step on it!

Craig Sorensen said...

Very, very sexy!

Huge congrats to you and BAK. I'm looking forward to reading it at Clean Sheets.

To answer your question, Kirsten, I've never collaborated with another author on a piece, but I have had talented author friends who have made suggestions that helped me refine a story.

Erobintica said...

Have any of you ever worked with other writers?

yes & no

Like Craig, I've used comments from other writers during the revision process, but other than a few writing exercises (write one line and pass it on to get a group poem) I've not worked with another writer to create something coherent like a story. I'd be fascinated to hear a bit more how you and BAK did this.

Nikki Magennis said...

I've never collaborated on writing, no. I know Dayle Dermatis and Teresa Noelle Roberts do quite a lot of joint writing - they had a post up at lustbites about it.

Hold on ... here it is.

I have done collaborative paintings. Boy, does that cure an ego quickly!