Monday, February 9, 2009

Moondance!




Look up! Look up! Today is the Full Snow Moon. 

In Colonial America it it was called the Trappers Moon
Chinese call it Budding Moon 
Cherokee call it Bony Moon 
Choctaw call it Little Famine Moon
Lakota call it Hunger Moon
The Celtic name is the Moon of Ice
In New Guinea it is the Parrotfish Moon

All around the world, there are faces looking up into the pale blue light, in wonderment. 

"For the Celts, this is the Rowan, or Mountain Ash, Moon. Rowan sprigs collected during this moon are used for divination. Rowan is associated with the festival for Imbolc. It is a member of the apple family, and if you cut across the berries horizontally, a tiny, pentagram-shaped seed container will be revealed, much like a wee version of the one found inside an apple. Rowan's qualities are protection, magic, intuition and as a guard of the sacred gateways into the Otherworld."





This morning the snow moon was a naughty tease. Finally the clouds slipped away for a few moments and she (or is it a he?) came out fully, bright and hopeful. The clouds directly below formed a shape that made it appear as if she was being flown across the sky on the back of a bald eagle. 



 Beneath the light of this moon, we find solutions to messy situations and we receive confidence to embark on new adventures or bring dreams to reality. Barriers flex and give way, and our personal goals are suddenly attainable. Turn a new page in life's book, and start a new chapter.

Wear white and decorate altars with white flowers, such as narcissus; white or yellow candles; and burn sage or frankincense. Write down all that you wish to banish from your life. Say something like:

Water take these as your guests
Cleanse me of losses and regrets
Lift this negativity
As I will so mote it be

Toss them in the toilet to be flushed away. Or, spend some time alone outside, or at least near a window where you can see the moon and say something like:

Purest Moon of wondrous light
Take what's useless from my life
Lift this negativity
As I will so mote it be

----http://irelandsown.net/snowmoon.html

6 comments:

Neve Black said...

I consulted with Roxanne about this full moon phenomena and she said it's not only full, but it's in Leo and there's a lunar eclipse.

You're not kidding about Moondancing, baby!

Erobintica said...

The moon was setting as I got up this morning - but earlier I'd awakened when it was shining in bright and almost full.

It was nice to read Beneath the light of this moon, we find solutions to messy situations and we receive confidence to embark on new adventures or bring dreams to reality. Barriers flex and give way, and our personal goals are suddenly attainable.

That's such a hopeful message. Very welcome this morning. Thanks Kirsten!

Kirsten Monroe said...

Neve,

That is so exciting! I know very little about astrology but that sounds like some groovy sky magic to me!

Hi Robin,

I'm thinking it should also be called the Full Hope Moon! I wonder if moonlight has an effect on us like sunlight.....hmmmmm

Craig Sorensen said...

A beautiful post, Kirsten.

And Li Bai and I know, without a doubt, the moon is a she.

Kirsten Monroe said...

Hi Craig, yes! Li Bai of course!

花間一壺酒。 A cup of wine, under the flowering trees;
獨酌無相親。 I drink alone, for no friend is near.
舉杯邀明月。 Raising my cup I beckon the bright moon,
對影成三人。 For her, with my shadow, will make three people.
月既不解飲。 The moon, alas, is no drinker of wine;
影徒隨我身。 Listless, my shadow creeps about at my side.
暫伴月將影。 Yet with the moon as friend and the shadow as slave
行樂須及春。 I must make merry before the Spring is spent.
我歌月徘徊。 To the songs I sing the moon flickers her beams;
我舞影零亂。 In the dance I weave my shadow tangles and breaks.
醒時同交歡。 While we were sober, three shared the fun;
醉後各分散。 Now we are drunk, each goes their way.
永結無情遊。 May we long share our eternal friendship,
相期邈雲漢。 And meet at last on the Cloudy River of the sky.

Erobintica said...

I'm swooning Kirsten - love that poem!