Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Peace out, peace in, peace-a-licious baby!




A few days ago I posted a photo of the collage I made for the family art auction. Well, my husband had commissioned me to do a doodle for his entry. The pay wasn't the greatest, but he tossed in some extras & how could I say no....to that? The final bids came in last night and his (my) piece fucking won! There were twenty pieces and we all had an imaginary $1,000 to use for bidding on the art, not including our own. We had to bid at least a dollar on each piece. Thank goodness for excel spreadsheets and email! It turned out to be quite fun and a great alternative gift experience for our large family. I feel like a snow-diving fox right now!

My favorite part about the drawing above is that it went slightly beyond just sitting down with a bunch of crayons. I am fascinated by stones and rocks. I used a large beautiful stone to make the repeating curved lines. I placed it on the canvas and traced its edges with pastels. I like knowing that it's my rock there -- transferred and transformed onto another surface and incorporated as the background -- that's so cool and fun.

Perhaps there is more visual art in me than I thought. I guess I should get my hands dirty with pens and paints and glue and chalk more often. There's always room for further exploration. Yep. There certainly is.


But wait, there's more happy news. Tomorrow (Wednesday) hop over Sommer's blog. I'll have a Hump Day ditty there for the taking. It might even be good for your health.

And on Friday, I'm going to Scotland. The amazing author and fearless mountaineer Nikki Magennis invited me to particpate in her "Writing that Touches" Series. Thanks so much Nikki -- I'm just tickled rainbow to have the opportunity -- it is truly an honor.


5 comments:

Nikki Magennis said...

Fearless mountaineer! Ha! Thanks, Kirsten - I'm very much looking forward to having you. Love the idea of the art auction, btw.

Neve Black said...

Kirsten!
Look at you, my little multi-talented artist! Wow! I'm so impressed. That's more than a doodle, my friend. Yah! Congratulations, chica-chica!

I'm tickled about your interview with Nikki on Friday. So cool.

Donna said...

I'm not surprised your talents span many media! Of course, I especially love the "wa"-nderful peacefulness of the work.

Craig Sorensen said...

I agree with Neve, that's far more than a doodle. I love it!

And I'm looking forward to your interview at Nikki's. I'll be working that day, but I'll slide in, even if it's a little late.

My verification word: imastro

It's a sort of multi-talented maestro. One who cooks, writes lovely smut, paints great pictures and so on and so forth...

Kirsten Monroe said...

Hi Nikki, I am very excited about Friday! Pain/fear is weakness leaving the body! You scaled that bad boy. That makes you strong and fearless!

Thanks Neve! More than a doodle, well, maybe :) More practice needed.

Thank you Donna! I have a friend who harvests herbs and makes art paper out of them -- I think that would be a fun bit of creativity.

Hi Craig! You're the sweetest. Looking forward to your sliding-on-in-any-time!