Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Lion in a sidecar


Photo: www.erphoto.org/

One of my favorite books is the delicious Brazilian classic, "Gabriela, Clove and Cinnamon" by Jorge Amado. Gabriela's sensuality and the vivid, colorful, language, in addition to the study of social and political turmoil, spoke to me when I first read it in my early twenties.

Today, out of the blue, whoosh -- a craving for some rice cooked with milk and cinnamon. I thought of Gabriela -- the sensual cook.
Arroz-Doce is a Brazilian/Portugese style rice pudding with coconut milk and spices. It is on the stove now. The smell of sweet rice with coconut milk fills the house with a fragrance like no other. I just can't get excited about stuffing this year. I'd much rather have spices and cream. First a bath with some cinnamon, vanilla, clove, and sweet almond oil in the water. Then a little dish of Brazilian delight for a bedtime treat.

This recipe is my version -- I like to think Gabriela would approve. I add a dash of allspice to the cravo e canela and I do not use egg yolks as some recipes do. The most important part though, is good quality coconut milk and patience while the rice and milk are simmering to the perfect thickness.

Arroz-Doce
Brazilian Rice Pudding

1 cup arborio or jasmine rice
3 to 3 1/2 cups coconut milk
milk
2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. ground cloves
1/4 t. allspice
1 T. pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon
salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon
unsalted butter


Cook the rice as directed. Fluff with a fork. Cool slightly. Combine the cooked rice with remaining ingredients in a heavy pan over medium heat. Simmer for 30 minutes or until thickened. Serve warm -- or cool.



Vintage photo: http://martinklasch.blogspot.com/

Speaking of excitement, have you ever felt like the guy driving the car around the wall of death with a lion in the sidecar?

5 comments:

Alex said...

I grabbed myself a copy of your recipe to try that out this weekend, given we're expecting 20-30 cm of snow. What's better than warm rice pudding and staying in with a good book? Oh, yeah, a good woman. lol

Kirsten Monroe said...

Hi Alex,

Thanks for stopping by! Enjoy your snowy rice pudding bookish coziness -- and yes, don't forget the good woman!

EllaRegina said...

I would love to be the guy driving the lion around that Wall of Death. Wow! Amazing how calm the animal is. (The lion, I mean...)

Kirsten Monroe said...

Hi EllaRegina,

What would you love about it? The speed? The tilted wall? The danger? I think he enjoys the wind in his face (the lion and the driver, that is).

--KM

EllaRegina said...

Let's see!

1. The velocity.

2. The centrifugal force (or is it G force?).

3. The smell -- I mean roar -- of the crowd.

4. The vehicle itself.

5. My maned passenger.

6. That it's probably in Paris or somewhere, during an era in which I would've liked to have lived (but if I had I would now be dead...).

7. I'd probably wear a cool outfit. Need helmet, though.

8. The lion and I would share a glass of Champagne together afterwards.

My word: rockboty

As opposed to "rock booty."