Monday, November 24, 2008

A certain shade of blue

Luna creciente, the crescent moon, hung low in the sky this morning. I am obsessed with seeing the pre-dawn sky every day. It is always different.




It is never disappointing, even when it's storming. This morning the sky was especially brilliant. The stars were out. Everything was still. The sky shimmered like glass, dark and bold and unbending except for the little stars and the sliver of silver, dark leafless branches straining towards it. The deep color of the sky -- just beginning to blush with the sun's gold, caught my eye -- midnight blue? Midnight blue is what immediately came to mind but then thought I better look it up. What is midnight blue anyway? Maybe the sky I admired was actually sapphire or indigo or bruise.

Midnight Blue, According to Wikipedia, "is the color called midnight blue in Crayola crayons.
Midnight blue has been an official Crayola color since 1958; before that, since having been formulated by Crayola in 1949, it was called Prussian blue."

I looked at the color wheel and found that my sky was actually closer to "St. Louis Blues," at least according to the Hex color people -- a color in-between "Blue Angels" and "Big Blue Bus."

Silly me. Looking at color wheels. But I want to get the colors right. The way Bessie Smith got the notes right. This is Bessie singing "St. Louis Blues" in 1929 -- from what I can gather, the only footage of her.



5 comments:

Neve Black said...

Hi.
I do the same damn thing when it comes to descriptions of color, K. Saphire-blue is the best way to describe the Mediteranean Sea.

Sometimes when the light hits the sky just so, it does look bluish-purple, like an over ripe plum, or a fresh new bruise. Yum, yum, yum.

Nice post.

Nikki Magennis said...

Sounds like an amazing morning! I also lose myself in colours sometimes.

A favourite blueish-grey-greeny one is 'Payne's Grey', (the names are so much prettier than Pantone numbers)but I think a wondrous thing about colour is how each is relative to and affected by the ones surrounding it.

Lovely posts!

Kirsten Monroe said...

Hi Nikki & Neve,

It's nice to know I'm not alone in this color scheming!

There does seem to be magic in color and light -- it can be difficult to translate that to the page. I had to look up Payne's Grey. "....a mixture of ultramarine and black or of Ultramarine and Sienna" Earth and sea. How cool is that?

Are either of you painters or photographers? I love photography but have only dabbled in it. Bringing images to life in the darkroom used to be one of my favorite hobbies.

Have a fabulous, colorful evening!

--KM

Nikki Magennis said...

Yep, I'm a painter. Though I haven't lifted a brush in months (no studio right now) I think my blood runs turpentine.

Kirsten Monroe said...

Nikki,

May you have a room of your own to paint in again soon! "My blood runs turpentine." Very cool. I so admire those who can draw and paint. I am limited to doodles and stick figures. Thank goodness for words -- and darkness and light!