Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Re-chalk the cock!

I'm not much for relaxation type of vacations. I'm much too wound up for that. Now this......this would be my kind of adventure. A trip across the sea to help restore Britain's ancient naked giant. Isn't he amazing? Anybody want to join me?



VOLUNTEERS are being sought to help re-chalk the ancient 180ft Cerne Abbas Giant.
The hillside figure has become obscured by vegetation and moss because of a wet summer and the situation has been made worse by a shortage of sheep farmers lending their flocks to the National Trust.


The organisation usually borrows around 100 sheep for a few weeks in May and September to graze on the vegetation and keep the giant in shape.

Trust West Dorset head warden Rob Rhodes said: "The grass is now pretty much smothering the whole of the giant.


"He is not completely invisible but he is quite overgrown."


10 comments:

Jeremy Edwards said...

Thanks for the invite, but I have a previous engagement trimming the Three Graces' bushes.

Kirsten Monroe said...

Ha! Perhaps our work parties can meet up in Paris....

Neve Black said...

No need to ask me twice. I'll check on airfare...lets go!

Kirsten Monroe said...

Maybe we can camp on the hillside & hike into town for chips & beer.

Donna said...

Count me in--I can't think of a worthier cause!

Craig Sorensen said...

Methinks the naked giant man could use a lady. He looks pretty worked up there.

Jeremy, what say we go over and carve out a lady next door to the poor overgrown bloke?

Of course, after the three graces have been tended to, that is.

Jeremy Edwards said...

I'll bring my Robomower.

We're going to need someone to model, though.

Kirsten Monroe said...

I have a chainsaw and some freshly sharpened hand shears. I think both the pagans and the sheep would appreciate something more comely than the latest figure to grace the neighboring pasture: Homer Erectus

Donna said...

This is getting to be quite the gardening project. Shall we all go in together and rent a castle to hang out at after work?

Kirsten Monroe said...

Imagine the fun we could have in a castle!