Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Punica Granatum


I woke up thinking about pomegranates. I woke up remembering how the rich girls in high school pulled them from paper lunch sacks licking at their fingers, laughing when the fat little jewels burst and their clothes were stained. I thought about the pomegranate jelly in my cupboard. I woke up wonderering whether Georgia O'Keefe ever painted a pomegrante. I have only seen bones and flowers and stones and rivers and earth, but maybe there's some fruit out there. I did note in my search that a publisher of calendars featuring her work is called "Pomegranate Publishing." And there is a book about pomegranates called Pomegranate, Anatomy of a Divine Remedy written by a doctor. He writes, "Women artists such as Georgia O'Keefe painted realistic images of fruit and flowers. Buffie Johnson's pomegranate paintings reflect the striking natural symbols, similar to the uterus and richness of the female fedundity."


I couldn't locate any Buffie Johnson pomegranates, but after I was fully awake, I came across this lovely poem at Clean Sheets by James Tipton: Eating the World


I was born somewhere between
the brain and the pomegranate,
with a tongue tasting the delicious textures
of hair and hands and eyes;


And of course, there is Salvador Dali and his tigers and pomegranates and dreams. I think it will be an interesting day.


2 comments:

Craig Sorensen said...

I haven't eaten a pomegranate since I was a wee lad, but I have a bottle of pomegranate juice in the basement.

I think I'll bring it upstairs and put it in the fridge.

Yum.

Kirsten Monroe said...

....and it's good for more than just dreaming....benefits the heart and the prostate too. Drink up!