Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Even sexier than that



The Naked Chef Jamie Oliver (love him and his tously hair, oh, and his cooking too) has a fig salad recipe that he calls the "sexiest and easiest" salad ever. Well, I didn't have figs around, so I improvised and I swear, my version is a mankiller. It's bright and bold and salty and sweet with rich, ripe cheese and fresh orchard fruit.

I just taste tested it and nearly went to my knees. But the real test, of course.....is how the guests will like it. Currently, my only guest is Mr. Man. I just set it on the desk of his home office along with a glass of chilled Italian white wine and a white "kissed" napkin. I can hardly stand waiting to hear him make those hungry man yummy noises when he wraps his lips around one of those ripe, viniagrette-drenched cherries, snagging a salty bit of parma and a creamy chunk of fresh buffalo mozzarella along with it.

Mankiller Salad
(Fresh Plum & Cherry Salad with Fresh Mozzarella and Parma -- served on a bed of baby spinach)

1 cup pitted & sliced plums
1 cup pitted fresh cherries
sliced parma ham to suit
Fresh buffalo mozzarella, thinly sliced into small strips (2 medium balls)
Raspberry viniagrette
Fresh basil, roughly torn
Fresh garden herbs and flowers as desired (rose petals, nasturtium, thyme, rosemary, etc.)
Salt & pepper to taste
Dash of white wine
Balsamic vinegar to taste

Mix it all up and serve atop a bed of baby spinach spritzed with raspberry viniagrette. Garnish with thinly sliced roasted (I prefer honey roasted) almonds.

Serve with grilled fish and pesto pasta or as a lunch salad with warm crusty bread.

Bon appetit!

ps -- he loves it! He said mmmm, yum, and yummy over and over. "I love the combinations of fruits and the nuts and meat." Don't you know it, baby!

No comments: