Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Let 'er Buck!



Hooray! Clean Sheets said yes to my short story Mustang Sally. I am so excited. It will be published in a couple of weeks, so stay tuned! For me, a "yes" from Clean Sheets is a very big deal.

Special thanks to my very good friend Sam because without him, I wouldn't be writing anything creative at all, especially not anything sexy, and I certainly would have never submitted anything for publication. It would all still be swirling around in my head making me crazy.


Well, I'll always be crazy, but it's incredibly freeing to let the ideas out and watch what happens.

Sam said "Go! Go!" from the beginning. He said, "Why did you ever stop?" He said, "Wow." He said, "Hot damn!" He said, "Do it. Do it now." Sam is superbad, supercool & superrad in so many ways. He is gut-bustingly funny, wonderfully creative, incredibly handsome, athletically talented, and the master of multiple universes. (Really! It's all true!) Thanks for everything Sam. You made me brave. I already had the devil horns, but you gave me wings.


I'm all abuzz with excitement -- makes me want to make a pie. Yes, a pie....because I love picking the berries, mixing the fruit, and rolling the dough. A celebration pie. I'd much rather celebrate with pie than cake.


Not too far from here is a place in the mountains where there are acres and acres of wild huckleberries that Native Americans have tended to and harvested for centuries. I will be there soon on a camping trip and I'll pick buckets of those fat purple, succulent, ancient berries and put them in a sweet juicy pie. Ride Sally Ride.


Wild Huckleberry Celebration Pie


Crust:
(Secret is the vodka, which helps the dough roll out perfectly and prevents shrinkage (yes! prevents shrinkage!) when baking

2 1/2 C. flour

1 t. salt

3 T. sugar

1 C. cold butter

5 T. ice water

3 T. vodka (plus a few sips for the cook)


Combine flour, salt and sugar. Mix well. Cut in cold butter. Sprinkle ice water and vodka. Mix gently with a fork. Press into a round. Divide and roll on a floured rolling cloth.


Filling:

5-6 cups fresh wild huckleberries, picked in the mountains at sunrise while they are still dewy and cool.

1 cup sugar

1/4 t. salt

3 T. tapioca

1 T. fresh lemon juice

1 t. butter
Directions: Roll out the bottom crust and pour in the berry filling. Place a pat of butter a top the filling. Place the top crust. Trim the edges (save scraps!) Pinch the edges neatly. Brush the entire top crust gently with half & half. Wrap in plastic wrap or waxed paper and chill for 30 minutes. Bake in a 350 degree oven until the juices are bubbling and the crust is nicely browned.
Roll pie dough scraps. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake until crisp and lightly browned. Get your lover naked and feed them pie crust cookies (excellent with camp coffee in the morning or whiskey and Grand Marnier on ice in the evening) while the pie is cooling.

3 comments:

Jeremy Edwards said...

CONGRATS!!! on Clean Sheets. You are awesome and CS is awesome; you deserve them and they deserve you!

And Sam ... we Aphroditophiles owe you, big-time.

By the way, my spamword today, cxmnqutf, looks a lot like a stylized map of the continental United States, in the font and shape in which it's displayed. The "c," appropriately enough, looks like a curvaceous California; the tail of the "q" is doing a passable impersonation of Florida; and the upper reaches of the giraffe-like "f" are as close to Maine as a serif can get.

Craig Sorensen said...

Clean Sheets is one of my favorite places on the web. You better believe it's a big deal to get published there!

I concur with Jeremy's sentiment's whole heartedly. All except the spam word thing. I tried tilting my head from side to side, and I just couldn't find Rhode Island, so I gave up.

Fun fact. Blogger's spell checker thinks the Rhode in Rhode Island is a misspelling.

Anywho, well done, Kirsten, and well done Sam!

Kirsten Monroe said...

Thank you thank you! I'm looking forward to sharing some western sexventures soon. And I think the world of all of your work and your talent as well...more than that - I think the universe of it.

Thx again :)